Kanji Vada is a popular and easy to make Rajasthani dish typically made during summer and during any fasting time. This is typically served with a liquid made of a mustard seed powder, black salt, asafoetida powder, lemon juice and water. This tangy water is helpful for digestion and improving the appetite.
Moong Dal – 2 cups
Red Chillies – 8 to 10, depending on size
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Ajwain (Omam Seeds) – 2 tsp
Mint Leaves – handful
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Soak the dal for 2 to 3 hours.
2. Drain well.
3. Add salt, red chillies, coriander seeds and ajwain.
4. Mix well and grind to a coarse batter. Add little water if required.
5. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
6. Pinch small balls and flatten them lightly.
7. Fry these in the hot oil until golden brown.
8. Remove and drain excess oil.
9. Serve with the tangy water.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !