Bengal Gram Dal – 2 cups
Urad Dal – 2 tblsp
Yellow Split Peas – 1/4 cup + 2 tblsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Saunf – 2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 5
Mint Leaves – 1/4 cup + 2 tblsp, finely chopped
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp, finely chopped
Salt as per taste
Oil as required for frying
1. Soak the dals for 2 hours and drain well.
2. Rinse once and add salt, asafoetida powder, saunf and dry red chillies.
3. Grind to a coarse thick batter, adding some water if required.
4. Add the mint leaves and coriander leaves.
5. Mix well.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium flame.
7. Take a small portion of the dough, flatten it on your palms and gently drop them in the hot oil.
8. Fry on both sides until light golden brown.
9. Remove and drain excess oil.
10. Serve hot with chutney or sauce of choice.