This hotel style Tiffin Sambar is served as a side dish with Idli, Dosa, Vadai or Pongal.
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 4, finely chopped
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Coconut – 4 tsp, grated
Garlic – 10 cloves, peeled, crushed
Mustard Seeds – little
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Heat little oil in a pan.
2. Fry the bengal gram dal, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds separately.
3. Remove and cool.
4. Add little oil to the same pan.
5. Saute the tomatoes for a minute or two and remove
6. Grind the tomatoes, coriander seeds, bengal gram dal, coconut and fenugreek seeds together to a fine paste.
7. Add 1 tsp oil to the pan.
8. Fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves for 20 seconds.
9. Add the garlic, onions and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
10. Add salt and ground tomato paste.
11. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
12. Remove and transfer to a bowl.
13. Serve as a side dish to idli, dosa or vadai.