Chingri Malai Curry (or Prawn Malai Curry) is a popular Bengali style Prawn Curry cooked in a rich coconut milk gravy. It is a traditional Bengali dish often made during special occasions or sunday lunch.
Prawns – 8 to 10, shelled, deveined, tails intact
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 2 tblsp
Green Cardamoms – 2
Cloves – 1 to 2
Bay Leaf – 1
Red Chilli Powder – a pinch
Sugar – 1/4 tsp
Coconut Milk – 1/4 cup
Dijon Mustard Paste – 1/8 tsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
1. Grind the masala ingredients with a little water to a smooth, thick paste.
2. Boil the prawns in a pan of water with turmeric powder and little salt. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Drain the prawns and add to the pan.
5. Cook until they start to change colour.
6. Remove and keep aside.
7. To the same pan, add the cloves, bay leaf and cardamoms.
8. Fry for 10 to 20 seconds.
9. Add the ground masala and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
10. Add sugar, salt and red chilli powder.
11. Stir well.
12. Add the coconut milk and 1/4 cup of water.
13. Simmer on low flame for a minute.
14. Add the prawns and simmer until fully cooked.
15. Add the mustard paste and stir well.
16. Garnish with coriander leaves.
17. Serve hot with rice.
Tip: Instead of regular oil you can also use mustard oil. If you are using mustard oil, then omit the mustard paste.