Here I am, it’s Monday night and I’m sitting on my couch, watching the season finale of Bachelorette (you know you watch it too). I should be relaxing, thinking about about all things Bachelorette such as who’s going to be picked, who will get out of the limo first and are they still together.
Instead, I’m sitting here on my couch, dreaming of my lunch from the other day: the Deconstructed Burrito Bowl. Yup, it was just that dreamy! You are going to need to get your hands on this little bowl of heaven and get it into your belly now!
I love the idea of all my favorite foods in one bowl ready for me to eat. Last year, bowl foods really seemed to explode with popularity. Most of the popular rice bowls, made with traditional rice and/or cauliflower rice (another huge trend), revolved around Asian inspired food, such as Poke Bowls. The Deconstructed Burrito Bowl plays on the popularity of bowl foods, but with a Tex Mex flare and all the yumminess of a burrito. Bowl foods are still trending today.
The Deconstructed Burrito Bowl brings together all the classic pairings of a burrito: brown rice, black beans, chicken and avocados and transforms them into a bowl. It’s the perfect combination for lunch or dinner. This bowl takes those classic burrito ingredients and turns up the dial on the flavor. I sprinkled the veggies and the chicken with chili powder, ground cumin, a little S&P and roasted them. It just gave it an extra wow factor.
I also added an extra, almost, secret ingredient: Roasted Butternut Squash. I topped the butternut squash with the same seasonings and roasted along with the chicken. It came out a little crispy on the outside and nice and creamy on the inside. It was perfect.
Deconstructed Burrito Bowl
- 1 Avocado Sliced
- 1 Can Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash
- 1/2 Red Onion Sliced
- 3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Salt and Peper To Taste
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- 1 Cup Brown Rice
- Preheat oven to 400. If your oven has a roasting function, use that setting.
- Cook rice as per package directions.
- On a non-stick sheet pan, place your onions, chicken and butternut squash. Sprinkle your seasonings evenly over the food.
- Roast in the oven until the chicken is cooked through. You will want to flip them chicken about half way through. The chicken should take approx 30 minutes.
- After roasting is complete, slice your chicken into strips and construct your burrito bowl. Start with a healthy heaping of rice on the bottom of the bowl. Next, in a row, add your beans, onion, butternut squash and sliced chicken. Last, add some chopped cilantro on top.
- Spicy Sirracha Mayo: 2-3 tbsp of mayo and as much or as little sirracha sauce as you like. I like mine extra spicy! Mix thoroughly and drizzle on top of your bowl.
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce: This sauce is AWESOME - the flavor is fantastic and it would also taste amazing on the Deconstructed Burrito Bowl.
I can’t say enough how easy this is to construct and how tasty it is to eat. Check out the recipe where I also have two options for yummy delicious sauces to drizzle over this bowl. This is one of those meals you are going to want in your meal rotation.