Masala Jhinga is an Indian dish that is a favorite among many Indians. The dish contains fried shrimps (or prawns) in an onion and tomato sauce seasoned with spices like cumin, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cloves, cardamom and chili peppers. The sauce also contains some sliced green chillies for added spice and flavor.
The ingredients for this dish vary depending on where it’s made, but most commonly include shrimp or prawns, onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, salt and cumin seeds.
This is one of the dishes that can be eaten every day!
If you want a saucy curry like consistency, add little bit more water. Serve with plain rice, roti, naan or jeera rice.
Masala Jhinga Recipe
Ingredients for Masala Jhinga
- 250 g Shrimps
- 1 1/2 to 2 tblsp Oil
- 1 Dried Red Chilli broken
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Onion finely chopped or grated
- 2 Tomato chopped
- a pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- as per taste Salt
- as required Water
How to make Masala Jhinga
- Remove the heads and tails of the shrimp.
- Then peel and devein the shrimps.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium flame.
- Add the dry red chilli, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and saute for 10 seconds.
- Add the onions and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cover the pan.
- Cook until tomatoes are soft and mashed.
- Stir from time to time so that it does not stick to the pan.
- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook for 3 to 4minutes.
- Add the shrimps and mix well.
- Add enough water and cook until the shrimps curl up and are opaque.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve as a side dish to naan, rice or rotis.