This is the vegetarian version of the popular Shami Kebab. This one is made using Chickpeas and can be served as a snack or as a main dish.
Chickpeas – 2 cups, cooked, drained, mashed
Onion – 2, medium, chopped
Tomatoes – 2, medium, chopped
Green Peas – 1/2 cup, shelled or thawed if frozen
Red Capsicum – 1, small, deseeded, chopped
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Maida – 1/2 cup + plus extra
Salt as per taste
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Oil as required
1. Combine all the ingredients, except oil, in a large bowl.
2. Add a little water and mix well a soft dough.
3. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
4. Make small balls of the dough and flatten them lightly using your palms.
5. Gently drop them in hot oil and deep fry until golden brown, turning once or twice.
6. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Serve hot with mint chutney or tomato sauce.