Potatoes – 500 gms, long, peeled, chopped into 6 inch long pieces, soaked in water
Mustard Oil – 1 cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Grind to Paste:
Garlic Cloves – 8
Ginger – 1 tbsp
Green Chillies – 4 to 5
Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp
1. Heat the mustard oil in a pan.
2. Add the fenugreek seeds.
3. When it begins to crackle, add the drained potatoes and turmeric powder.
4. Stir well.
5. Add salt, and cook on a high flame stirring once or twice.
6. Avoid breaking the potatoes.
7. Once the outer coat of the potatoes are firm and evenly coloured to light brown, drain the excess oil, if any.
8. Add the ground paste, cook over a low flame for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. The paste does not have to be brown, only cooked.
10. By this time the potatoes too will be reddish.
11. Serve hot.