Jamun Fruit Ice Cream – a super simple and highly nutritious way to indulge in this fruit.
Be it kids or adults, come summer, we all start craving for the sweet-sour, plump and purple fruit named Jamun. All of us love to eat this fleshy “Fruit of the Gods” and immediately check for a purple tongue. When I was a kid, we would sometimes turn it into a contest between us cousins as to who had the darkest purple tinge!
Known as Jamu, Jambol, Java Plum or Indian Blackberry this purple goodness has a very short season. Not only are they refreshing and help combating the heat, they also come loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, flavonoids, manganese, potassium, phosphorous and calcium. In Ayurveda, the seed is used to treat high insulin levels along with the bark and leaves. It also has astringent properties (for elimination bad breath) and treating gingivitis.
Now, with a fruit backed by such strong properties, it is but natural to include it as part of our summer diet. Apart from eating it whole, what better way to eat it than in the form of an ice-cream – Jamun Fruit Ice Cream. Extremely simple to make, with regular kitchen staples, the Jamun Fruit Ice cream requires only a mixie and a freezer. Well, you also require a bit of patience, for at the end of wait lies this delicious, creamy, home-made, naturally flavoured ice-cream – which in my personal opinion is much better and nutritious than the store bought ones.
Indulge yourself and your kids this summer with this super simple and creative dessert and let us know how it went. Here are some more creative desserts to try out this holidays.
Jamun Fruit Ice Cream
Ingredients for Jamun Fruit Ice Cream
- 2 Cups Jamun Fruit Deseeded
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cream
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 4 tblsp Boiled Milk cooled
How to make Jamun Fruit Ice Cream
- Deseed the jamun fruit and grind it to a fine paste. No need to add water.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the milk and corn flour together.
- Mix well and make sure no lumps are formed.
- When it starts to heat up, remove from flame and cool it.
- Add the jamun fruit paste, sugar, fresh cream and mix well.
- Freeze this mixture for minimum 1-2 hours.
- After 1-2 hours, when the mixture is half set, remove from fridge and whisk it till frothy. Use a fork or a wire whisk.
- Level, set and allow it to freeze for at least 8 hours or over night.
- Remove and serve chilled.