Pongal is a popular South Indian breakfast dish often served with chutney, sambar or (brinjal) gojju. There are a few varieties of pongal and this is one of them.
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp, powdered coarsely
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 2
Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
Ghee as required
Curry Leaves – few
Cashewnuts – few
1. Dry roast the rice and dal separately in a pan.
2. Combine the rice and dal with ginger, green chillies, salt and enough water.
3. Cook till it reaches a pongal consistency (not too dry and not too watery).
4. Heat ghee in a small frying pan.
5. Fry the curry leaves, cashewnuts, peppercorns and cumin seeds for 30 to 45 seconds.
6. Add this to the pongal and stir gently.
7. Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !