Gram Flour – 2 cups
Rice Flour – 3/4 cup
Vanaspati – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 250 ml
Omam (Ajwain/Carom Seeds) – 1 1/2 tsp
1. Sieve the gram flour and rice flour well.
2. Combine together with salt and vanaspati.
3. Soak the dry red chillies and ajwain for an hour.
4. Drain and then grind together to a fine paste.
5. Add a little water and strain the mixture.
6. Add this to the flour with some more water.
7. Add asafoetida powder and mix well semi-thick dough.
8. Add the dough to an ompodi maker.
9. Heat oil for frying in a deep frying pan.
10. Squeeze the ompodi maker over it and fry till golden brown.
11. Remove and drain excess oil.
12. Store in an airtight container.
13. Use as required.
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.