Peels of one big bottle gourd
Â¼ cup dry-roasted sesame or Â¼ cup roasted and peeled peanuts or Â¼ cup roasted Chana Dal
or a combination of any of these making Â¼ cup
Â¼ cup yogurt
2 green chillis
Â¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
Â¼ tsp asafoetida powder
1. Chop the bottle gourd peels and green chillis.
2. Heat the oil in a pan. When hot, add mustard seeds. Once they start popping, add the cumin seeds, and then the asafoetida powder.
3. Add the chopped bottle gourd peels and green chillis. Stir. Sprinkle some water, cover the pan and let them steam-cook.
4. Once the peels are soft, add sugar, salt and chopped coriander leaves. Sauté until most of the water has evaporated. Turn the heat off, and let it cool.
5. Once it is cool, add it along with the roasted sesame seeds or peanuts or the combination you are using and the yogurt to the jar of your mixie or food processor. Grind it till you get a fairly smooth paste. The chutney is ready!
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !