Thulasi (Basil Leaves) – 1 cup, washed, cleaned, ground
Black Peppercorns – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Toor Dal – 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup
Asafoetida Powder – little
Mustard Seeds – little
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and toor dal together.
2. Add salt and asafoetida powder to tamarind extract.
3. Transfer to a pan and bring to a boil over medium flame.
4. Grind the soaked ingredients and add to the tamarind extract.
5. Add the ground thulasi and simmer for a few minutes.
6. Meanwhile, heat little oil in a small frying pan.
7. Fry the mustard seeds till it splutters and pour this into the rasam.
8. Serve hot.