Kovakkai is a popular vegetable in South India. This Kovakkai Varuval recipe is easy to make and is best served with rice items, especially curd rice or with chapatis.
Kovakkai (Ivy Gourd / Tindora) – 500 gms
Onion – 1
Tomatoes – 1
Curry Leaves – few
Coconut – 2 1/2 tblsp, grated
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 3 tsp
Oil as required
Sambar Powder – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
1. Dry roast the bengal gram for 45 seconds or until golden.
2. Remove and grind together with coconut, cumin seeds and curry leaves to a fine powder.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Fry the mustard seeds for 30 seconds.
5. Add curry leaves, onions, tomatoes and kovakkais.
6. Stir well.
7. Add sambar powder and salt.
8. Mix well.
9. Sprinkle some water and cover the pan with a lid.
10. Remove the lid when all moisture has evaporated and kovakkais are crisp and cooked.
11. Sprinkle the ground powder and stir once.
12. Remove and serve as side dish.
image via youtube