- Put 3 tbsp. of the water into the top of a double boiler with the cocoa and instant coffee powder over direct heat.
- Stir until the water boils and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the broken up chocolate and sugar.
- Replace over simmering water and stir until the chocolate melts.
- Add the almond essence and the rest of the water stirring gently until it is well mixed.
- Add just enough liquid to achieve the consistency you wish.
- If it is a little too thin or you want a thick sauce, beat 2 egg yolks in a bowl with a teaspoon of water; beat the warm sauce gradually into this, return the pan to the double boiler and reheat very gently.
- Serve at once or chill.