Kuska Biryani (or Plain Biryani) is a simple to make, delicious and popular biryani variety across TamilNadu. Unlike other biryani varieties, this is a plain dish without any vegetables or meat. A simple, tasty and quick dish.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups, washed and drained well
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
Coconut Milk – 2 cups
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Green Chillies – 5 to 6, chopped
Bay Leaves – 2
Cinnamon – 2
Cloves – 2
Mint Leaves – handful, chopped
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Oil – 1 tblsp
Ghee – 1 1/2 tblsp
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Saute the onions and tomatoes for a minute.
3. Add the mint leaves and coriander leaves.
4. Saute for another minute.
5. Remove from flame, cool and grind to a fine paste.
6. Heat ghee in a pressure pan over medium flame.
7. Saute the cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves and green chillies for a minute or two.
8. Add the ginger garlic paste, ground onion-tomato paste and mix well.
9. Pour 2 cups of water and coconut milk.
10. Mix well.
11. Add salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
12. Now add the basmati rice and cover the pan with a lid.
13. Pressure on low flame for 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
14. Switch off the flame, remove and cool.
15. Gently fluff up the rice using a fork.
16. Serve hot with raita or chips.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !