- Octopus – 2 kg, cleaned and gutted
- Olive Oil – 2 cups
- Lemon Juice – 1 cup
- Rind of 1 Lemon – finely grated
- Green Chillies – 2, seeded and finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves – 2, finely chopped
- Fresh Cilantro – 1 tblsp
- Salad Greens to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350F/150C.
- Place the octopus in a lidded casserole just large enough to hold it.
- Pour enough olive oil to cover.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours until very tender.
- Drain the octopus well and discard the oil.
- Separate the tentacles and remove the suckers.
- Thinly slice the tentacles and place in a bowl.
- Mix together 1/2 cup of the remaining olive oil, the lemon juice and rind, chillies, garlic and cilantro in a pitcher.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the octopus.
- Toss gently, then cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Serve on a bed of salad greens.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !