- Bring a large pan of water to a boil.
- Add the rice and cook for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and keep in a strainer covered with a clean dish towel to absorb the steam.
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Crush the coriander seeds in a mortar with a pestle.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the crushed coriander seeds and cook, turning, until they start to color.
- Tip onto a plate and set aside.
- Put the egg whites into a shallow bowl and the coconut into a separate bowl.
- Roll each shrimp first in the egg whites, then in the coconut.
- Thread onto a skewer.
- Repeat so that each skewer is threaded with 3 coated shrimp.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Using a potato peeler, peel long strips from the cucumber to create ribbons, put into a strainer to drain, then toss with the scallions and oil in a bowl, and set aside.
- Cook the shrimp under the preheated broiler for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until slightly browned.
- Mix the rice with the toasted coriander seeds and fresh cilantro.
- Divide this and the cucumber salad among bowls.
- Serve with the hot shrimp skewers.