- Raw Beetroot – 1 kg
For the Dressing:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 4 tblsp
- Red Wine Vinegar – 1 1/2 tblsp
- Garlic Cloves – 2, finely chopped
- Scallions – 2, chopped
- Coarse Sea Salt – as per taste
- Carefully remove the roots from the beets without cutting the skin.
- Then cut off all but 1 inch of the stalks.
- Gently rub the beets under cold running water, without splitting the skins, to remove any dirt.
- Put the beets in a saucepan with enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat slightly, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife.
- To make the dressing, put the oil, vinegar, garlic, scallions and salt in a screw-top lid jar.
- Shake until emulsified.
- Set aside.
- Drain the beets and rinse under cold running water until cool enough to handle.
- Peel away the skins.
- Thickly chop or slice the beets, put in a bowl and pour over the dressing.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 60 minutes.
- To serve, gently toss the salad and serve in a salad bowl or plate.