- Bring a small, heavy-based saucepan of water to the boil.
- Heat 5 tblsp of olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan.
- Add the garlic and diced bread and cook, stirring and tossing frequently, for 5 minutes or until the bread is crispy and golden all over.
- Remove from the frying pan with a slotted spoon and drain.
- While the bread is frying, add the egg to the boiling water and cook for a minute.
- Remove from the saucepan and reserve.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves in a salad bowl.
- Mix the remaining olive oil and lemon juice together, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Crack the egg into the dressing and whisk to blend.
- Pour the dressing over the lettuce leaves, toss well.
- Add the chopped anchovies, garlic croutons and toss the salad again.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese shavings and serve.