- Dried Chickpeas – 175 gms or Canned Chickpeas – 400 gms, drained and rinsed
- Ripe Tomatoes – 225 gms, roughly chopped
- Red Onion – 1, thinly sliced
- Fresh Basil Leaves – handful, torn
- Romaine Lettuce – 1, torn
- Fresh Crusty Bread – to serve
For the Dressing:
- Green Chilli – 1, deseeded and finely chopped
- Garlic Clove – 1, crushed
- Juice and Zest of 2 Lemons
- Olive Oil – 2 tblsp
- Water – 1 tblsp
- If using dried chickpeas, soak overnight and then boil for at least 30 minutes until soft.
- Leave to cool.
- To make the dressing, put all the ingredients into a small screw-top jar and shake until well blended.
- Taste and add more lemon juice or oil if necessary.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and basil to the chickpeas and mix gently.
- Pour over the dressing and mix again.
- Arrange on a bed of lettuce and serve with crusty bread.