- Preheat the grill to high.
- Put the whole peppers on a baking sheet and place under the hot grill, turning frequently for 15 minutes, or until charred all over.
- Remove with tongs and place it in a bowl.
- Cover with crumpled kitchen paper and reserve.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add the pasta and return to the boil.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes until just tender.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, pesto sauce and garlic in a bowl, whisking well to mix.
- Drain the pasta, add it to the pesto mixture while still hot and toss well. Reserve until required.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins, then cut open and remove the seeds.
- Chop the flesh roughly and add to the pasta with the basil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss well.