- French Beans – 115 gms, topped and tailed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Shelled Broad Beans – 115 gms, grey outer skins removed if not young
- Fresh or Frozen Shelled Peas – 115 gms
- Canned Haricot Beans – 400 gms, drained and rinsed
- Small Red Onion – 1, thinly sliced
- Fresh Parsley – 2 tblsp, chopped
- Fresh Chives – 1 tblsp, snipped
- Rocket or Watercress Leaves – 85 gms
- Salt and Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 5 tblsp
- Tarragon Vinegar – 2 tblsp
- Mixed Grain Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Pinch of Sugar
For Fried Halloumi Cheese:
- Olive Oil to drizzle
- Halloumi Cheese – 350 gms, drained, patted dry and cut into 12 slices
- To make the dressing, put all the ingredients into a small screw-top jar and shake until well blended. Set aside.
- Prepare a bowl of iced water.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add the French beans and the broad beans and blanch for 3 minutes or until just tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the beans from the water and immediately transfer them to the iced water.
- Return the water to the boil and blanch the peas for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the water and add to the iced water to cool.
- Drain the beans and peas and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the dressing, haricot beans, onion and herbs and toss.
- Cover and chill.
- To make the fried halloumi cheese, just before you are ready to serve, heat a thin layer of oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Lightly dust each slice of the cheese with flour, shaking off the excess.
- Place as many pieces as will fit in the pan and fry for 30-60 seconds until golden brown.
- Flip the cheese over and continue frying until lightly browned on the other side, then remove from the pan and keep warm while you fry the remaining pieces.
- Toss the salad again, add the rocket leaves and then add extra seasoning, if necessary.
- Divide the salad between individual plates and arrange the hot cheese alongside.
- Drizzle the cheese with olive oil and grind over some pepper.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !