- Olive Oil – 3 tblsp
- Chicken – 1, approx 1.25 kg
- Dry White Wine – 200 ml
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Carrot – 1, chopped
- Celery Stalk – 1, chopped
- Fresh Bay Leaf – 1
- Salt and Pepper
For the Marinade:
- Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Fresh Bay Leaves – 4
- Olive Oil – 125 ml
For the Salad
- Baby Spinach Leaves – 150 gms, chopped
- Celery Stalks – 5
- Chicory – 1 head
- Wine Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Balsamic Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof casserole over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and fry for 15 minutes, turning, until golden all over.
- Pour in the wine and simmer for 2 minutes, then add the onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover lightly and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, turning every 20 minutes, until the juices from the thickest part of the thigh run clear when pierced with a skewer.
- Discard the liquid and solids.
- When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin.
- Strip the meat from the bone, slicing any large chunks into bite-sized pieces.
- Arrange the chicken in a dish.
- Sprinkle with salt, a few peppercorns and the bay leaves.
- Pour in enough oil to generously coat.
- Cover tightly with cling film and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 2 hours before serving.
- Place in a colander set over a bowl to drain, and leave to stand until the oil has liquefied.
- To make the salad, combine the spinach, celery and chicory in a large serving dish.
- Toss with salt, enough oil from the chicken to just coat the leaves, and the wine vinegar.
- Arrange the chicken on top, discarding the peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar before serving.