- Small Stale Ciabatta Loaf – 1
- Cold Water – 2 to 3 tblsp
- Plum Tomatoes – 6 large, ripe
- Cucumber – 1/2, peeled and roughly chopped
- Red Onion – 1 small, very thinly sliced
- Fresh Basil Leaves – handful
For the Dressing:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 4 tblsp, plus extra to drizzle
- Red Wine Vinegar – 1 tblsp
- Pinch of Sugar
- Capers – 2 tsp, drained and rinsed
- Salt and Pepper as required
- Tear the bread into bite-sized chunks and place in a large shallow dish.
- Sprinkle with the water.
- Roughly chop 3 of the tomatoes and add to the dish with the cucumber and onion. Stir to mix.
- Tear half the basil leaves and scatter over the top.
- Halve the remaining tomatoes and squeeze each half to extract as much of the juice and seeds as possible into a small bowl.
- Discard any remaining skin and flesh.
- To make the dressing, add the olive oil, vinegar, sugar and capers to the tomato juice and seeds and whisk together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the tomato dressing over the bread slices and toss until coated.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the remaining basil leaves and drizzled with a little more olive oil.