- Groundnut or Corn Oil for frying
- Fresh Egg Noodles – 250 gms, fine or medium
For Chicken Salad:
- Soured Cream – 6 tblsp
- Mayonnaise – 6 tblsp
- Fresh Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
- Grated Rind and Juice of 1 Lime
- Chicken Thighs – 4 skinless and boneless, poached and cooled, then cut into thin strips
- Carrot – 1, grated
- Cucumber – 1, cut in half lengthways, deseeded and sliced
- Fresh Coriander – 1 tblsp, finely chopped
- Fresh Mint – 1 tblsp, finely chopped
- Fresh Parsley – 1 tblsp, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper as required
- To shape the noodle baskets, you will need a special set of 2 long-handled wire baskets that clip inside each other, available from specialist kitchen stores.
- Dip the larger wire basket in oil, then line it completely and evenly with one quarter of the noodles.
- Dip the smaller wire basket in oil, then position it inside the larger basket and clip it into position.
- Heat the oil in a wok to 180C/350F or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Lower the baskets into the oil and deep-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are golden brown.
- Remove the baskets from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Unclip the 2 wire baskets and carefully remove the small once.
- Use a palette knife, if necessary, to prise the noodle basket from the wire frame.
- Repeat to make 3 more baskets.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the chicken salad, combine the soured cream, mayonnaise, ginger and lime rind.
- Gradually add the lime juice until you get the flavour you like.
- Stir in the chicken, carrot and cucumber and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill.
- To serve, stir in the herbs and spoon the salad into the noodle baskets.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !