- Fillet Steaks – 2, about 175 gms each and 1 inch thick
- Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil – for brushing
- Wholegrain Mustard – 1 tblsp
- Mayonnaise – 150 ml
- Lemon Juice – 1 tblsp
- Apples – 500 gms
- Celery Sticks – 4, thinly sliced
- Walnut Halves – 70 gms, broken into pieces
- Mixed Salad Leaves – 100 gms
- Pepper – as required
- Fresh Wholemeal Bread to serve
- Heat a cast-iron griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat.
- Brush each steak with oil and season to taste with pepper.
- Add the steaks to the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes for rare or 8-10 minutes for medium, turning the steaks frequently and brushing once or twice with oil.
- Remove from the pan and reserve.
- Stir the mustard into the mayonnaise.
- Put the lemon juice into a large bowl.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut them into small chunks and immediately toss them in the lemon juice.
- Stir in the mustard mayonnaise.
- Add the celery and walnuts to the apple mixture and toss together.
- Arrange the salad leaves on 4 plates, then divide the apple mixture between them.
- Very thinly slice the steaks, arrange on top of the salad and serve immediately with bread.