- Sirloin Steak – 350 gms, trimmed of any visible fat
- Egg Noodles – 90 gms
- Small Red Onion – 1, halved and thinly sliced into crescents
- Radish – 6, sliced
- Peppery Leaves – 4 handfuls
- Groundnut Oil – 1 1/2 tblsp
- Sichuan Pepper – 1 tsp, crushed
For the Marinade:
- Chinese Rice Wine or Dry Sherry – 4 tsp
- Soy Sauce – 1/2 tblsp
- Sugar – 4 tsp
- Hoisin Sauce – 2 tblsp
- Fresh Ginger – 1 inch piece, squeezed in a garlic press
For the Dressing:
- Sichuan Pepper – 2 tsp, crushed
- Light Soy Sauce – 1 1/2 tblsp
- Rice Vinegar – 1 1/2 tblsp
- Cold-pressed Sesame Oil – 2 tblsp
- Slice the beef into neat strips measuring about 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches.
- Combine the marinade ingredients pour over the beef.
- Leave at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Cook the noodles in a saucepan in boiling water for 4 minutes or according to the instructions on the packet, until soft.
- Allow to cool.
- Snip into shorter lengths.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients until well blended.
- Combine the noodles, onion, radishes and salad leaves in a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing again and pour 2/3rds of it over the salad.
- Toss to distribute the noodles, then divide between individual serving plates.
- Heat a wok over a medium-high heat, then add the groundnut oil and the Sichuan pepper.
- Stir for a few seconds to flavour the oil.
- Add the beef and marinade, and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes until caramelized.
- To make the dressing, whisk the ingredients together in a bowl until well blended.
- Pour over the remaining dressing.