White kabuli channa – 1 cup
Onions – 3 big
Tomatoes – 2 big
Ginger – a small piece
Garlic – 7 or 8 flakes
Tamarind – small lemon sized
Jaggery – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 1/2 tbsp
Salt – as required
Green chilles – 2
Chilly powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Cardamoms – 3
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1″ piece
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
1. Soak channa for 10 hours in enough water, with little soda bi carbonate (cooking soda).
2. Wash well and cook it in pressure cooker with enough water for nearly 20 minutes, after the vent has been kept.
3. Grind onion, ginger, garlic, along with cardamom, clove, and cinnamon.
4. Blanch tomatoes in hot water, remove skin and grind separately.
5. Heat ghee in a frying, oan, add cumin seeds.
6. When it splutters add the masala paste and fry in medium flame, till ghee separates from it.
7. Add tomato puree and keep stirring constantly until the moisture is completely absorbed.
8. Add salt, chilli powder, tamarind extract, jaggery and boiled channa with that water. Cook until the gravy is thick enough to serve.
9. Remove from fire, garnish with fried green chillies and cut coriander leaves.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !