Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu is a popular South Indian Brahmin style sambar made with Manathakkali (Black Night Shade in English).
Manathakkali Vathal – 100 gms
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup (or as desired)
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram – 1 tsp
Vendhayam (Fenugreek Seeds) – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Curry Leaves – few
Sambar Powder – 4 tsp
Oil – 10 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a pan over moderate flame.
2. Add mustard seeds, bengal gram, vendhyam and red chillies.
3. Stir-fry for a minute.
4. Add sambar powder and stir again.
5. Add manathakkali and stir.
6. Now add salt, tamarind extract and simmer for a few minutes.
7. Garnish with curry leaves.
8. Serve hot with rice.