Fresh Dates – 1 kg
Water – 3 litres
Almonds – handful, toasted and slivered
Sugar – 450 gms
Cloves – 5
Orange Rind – 3 tblsp, finely sliced
Lemon Juice – 2 tblsp
1. Peel the dates and place them in a large pan with water.
2. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 60 minutes or until they are tender.
3. Remove and transfer to a large plate.
4. Reserve the liquid.
5. Once the dates are cooled, remove and discard the seeds/stones.
6. Push 2 slivers of toasted almonds into each date.
7. Sprinkle 1/3rd of the sugar evenly over the bottom of a medium pan.
8. Lay 1/3rd of the dates and 2 cloves over the sugar.
9. Repeat the layers twice.
10. Make the reserved liquid upto 1 litre using cold water if necessary and pour into the pan.
11. Cover the pan and leave to rest overnight.
12. Next day, bring the mixture to a quick boil and then boil vigorously for 5 minutes.
13. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
14. Add the orange rind and the lemon juice.
15. Simmer until the syrup is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
16. Remove and cool.
17. After it has cooled, transfer into warm sterilized jars and seal tightly.