Brinjals – 1.75 to 2 kgs, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
Salt – 2 tblsp
Lemons – 4
Cloves – 4
Ginger – 1 inch piece, peeled and shredded
Sugar – 1 1/4 kg
Crystallized Ginger – 100 gms, chopped
1. Place the brinjal cubes in a large strainer.
2. Sprinkle salt and keep aside for half an hour.
3. Peel the lemons and cut the rinds into thin strips.
4. Squeeze and reserve the juice.
5. Rinse the brinjal cubes under cold water and pat dry.
6. Put the strainer over a pan and cover with a lid.
7. Bring to a boil and steam the brinjals until tender (10 to 15 minutes).
8. Remove from heat and transfer the brinjals to a large pan.
9. Add the lemon juice.
10. Add the lemon rind, cloves and ginger in a muslin bad, tie tightly and add to the pan.
11. Add sugar and mix well.
12. Cover the pan and leave to stand for atleast 24 hours, undisturbed.
13. Next day slowly bring to a boil, stirring continously until the sugar has dissolved.
14. Then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
15. Add the crystallized ginger and raise the heat.
16. Boil vigorously until the jam thickens.
17. Remove from heat.
18. Discard the muslin bag and leave to cool.
19. Transfer to clean, sterilized jars and seal when completely cool.