Sugar – 1/2 cup
Fish Sauce – 1/2 cup
Chicken Thigh Fillets – 750 gms
Fresh Ginger – 3/4 inch piece, finely shredded
Black Pepper – 3/4 tsp, ground
1. Melt sugar in a pan until golden brown and syrupy.
2. Remove from the heat and carefully add the fish sauce.
3. It will bubble fiercely and the sugar may set into a soft toffee.
4. Add 1 cup of water and return to the heat.
5. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the toffee has dissolved.
6. Cut each piece of chicken into 2 and add to the syrup with ginger and pepper.
7. Simmer gently for about 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender.