Garlic Cloves – 2, large, peeled
Spring Onions – 5, white parts only
Raw Prawn Meat – 600 gms
Sugar – 2 tsp
Fish Sauce – 3 tsp
Potato Starch – 2 tsp
Bacon – 1 slice, finely diced
Sugarcane Sticks – 500 gms, drained
Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
1. In a food processor, chop the garlic and onions.
2. Add the prawn meat, sugar, fish sauce and starch.
3. Process to a paste.
4. Add the diced bacon and process until very well mixed.
5. Mould portions of the prawn paste around the centre of each stick.
6. Brush lightly with oil and cook slowly on a medium hot grill, turning often, for about 3 1/2 minutes.
7. Cook till dark brown and flecks appear on the surface.
8. Serve with dipping sauce.