A perfect summer health drink with lots of good nutrients.
Sugar – 5 cups
Water – 2 1/2 cups
Almonds – 1/4 cup, blanched and peeled
Musk Melon Seeds – 1/4 cup
Aniseed – 1 tblsp
Poppy Seeds – 1 tblsp
Pepper – 2 tsp
Saffron – 1/8 tsp
Cardamom – 1 tblsp
Pannier Rose (fresh pink rose flowers) – 25
1. Soak the almonds, melon seeds, aniseed, pepper, cardamom and poppy seeds together in water for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Using a stone grinder, grind together to a fine paste.
3. Use rose water for grinding and add rose petals at the end. Grind well.
4. Heat sugar and water together till it reaches one string consistency.
5. Add a drop of milk to clarify the syrup and strain through a muslin cloth.
6. Add the ground paste and boil again for 15 minutes.
7. Allow it to cool down and cover with a lid for 3 to 4 hours.
8. Strain through a large strainer.
9. Put the pulp in a muslin cloth and squeeze well.
10. Mix crushed saffron to the syrup.
11. Transfer it to sterilized bottles and refrigerate.
12. To serve, add 1 part of the syrup to 3 to 4 parts of chilled milk.
13. Mix well and serve (with or without crushed ice).