Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Ragi Flour – 1 cup
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Wash dal and fenugreek seeds.
2. Drain and soak in water for 4 hours.
3. Drain and grind to make a fine batter, adding 1/4 cup of water.
4. Transfer to a large container and add the ragi flour and salt.
5. Mix well to make a thick batter of pouring consistency.
6. Add 1 to 2 tblsp water if required.
7. Set aside to ferment for 8 hours.
8. Brush an idli rack with oil.
9. Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into each depression and pressure cook for 15 to 20 minutes, without the weight.
10. Allow the rack to cool and ease out the idlis.
11. Serve hot with sambar and chutney of choice.
Tip: To check if the idli is cooked properly, insert a toothpick or a knife in the centre. If it comes out clean, then it is cooked.