1. Combine both the rice, wash well and soak in water for 6 hours.
2. Combine dal and fenugreek seeds, wash and soak in water for 6 hours.
3. Drain rice and grind to make a coarse batter, adding 1/2 cup of water.
4. Drain dal and grind to make a smooth, frothy batter, gradually adding 1/2 cup of water.
5. Combine both the batters with salt.
6. Set aside to ferment for 8 hours.
7. The batter should have a thick pouring consistency.
8. Brush an idli rack with oil.
9. Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into each depression.
10. Place rack in a pressure cooker and steam for 15 to 20 minutes without weight.
11. Allow the rack to cool and remove the idlis.
12. Cut the idlis into quarters and keep aside.
13. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
14. Fry idli in batches till golden.
15. Remove and place on kitchen paper.
16. Place fried idlies in a bowl.
17. Sprinkle dosai milagai podi and toss well to mix.
18. Serve as a starter or as a snack.
Varutha Masala Idli Recipe
You might also like these recipes
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Varutha Masala Idli from Awesome Cuisine.