Rice – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Poha – 1/4 cup, washed and drained
Coconut – 1 cup, grated
Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 3, finely chopped
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp, finely chopped
Salt as per taste
1. Wash rice and soak in water for 60 minutes.
2. Combine both dals, wash well and soak in water for 60 minutes.
3. Drain rice and grind to make a coarse batter.
4. Drain dals and grind till almost smooth but still a little grainy.
5. Add poha, coconut, green chillies, ginger and coriander leaves.
6. Grind to make a smooth batter.
7. Combine both the batters.
8. Add salt and allow to ferment for 4 hours.
9. The batter should have a thick pouring consistency. Add more water if required.
10. Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into oiled idli rack.
11. Place them in a pressure cooker or Idli Cooker, steam them for 15 minutes without weight.
12. Allow the rack to cool before removing the idlis.
13. Serve hot with chutney of choice.