Manathakkali Vathal is a popular South Indian delicacy. The green manathakkali berries are sun-dried and then mixed with pickled using curd and salt. It is rich in vitamins and helps in curing stomach ailments, cold and cough. Manathakkali Vathal Sambar is a very delicious dish made using this.
- Green Manathakkali – 1 kg
- Salt as required
- Thick Curd – 2 cups
- Soak the manathakali seeds in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water well.
- Spread the seeds in a cloth or a plate and dry it under sunlight for 2 days.
- Wait till it changes its colour.
- Take a bowl, add the curd, salt and the dried manathakali and soak overnight.
- Next day, Spread the soaked manathakali in a plate and dry it for 2 to 3 days.
- This manathakali would be good for 3 months.