Brinjals – 3, medium, round and purple
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
For the Coconut Paste:
Oil – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 4, chopped
Fresh Coconut – 1 cup, grated
Tamarind – small marble sized ball
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Heat oil for coconut paste and fry the green chillies for a minute.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients along with 2 tblsp of water.
3. Grind to a smooth paste.
4. Wash and dry the brinjals.
5. Smear them with oil and roast over an open flame turning regularly for 10 minutes or till skin is charred and shrivelled.
6. Cool, peel and mash pulp.
7. Combine the pulp and coconut paste in a pan over moderate heat.
8. Add salt.
9. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes till well blended.
10. Serve hot with plain rice.