Rice – 1 cup
Parboiled Rice – 1 cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
Poha – 1/2 cup, washed and drained
Curd – 1/2 cup, whisked
Salt as per taste
Coconut – 1 cup, graed
Oil for shallow frying
1. Combine the regular and parboiled rice, dal and fenugreek seeds.
2. Wash well and soak in water for 2 hours.
3. Drain and grind till almost smooth but still a little grainy, gradually adding 1 to 1 1/4 cups of water.
4. Add poha and grind till smooth, gradually adding 1/2 cup of water (or less).
5. Add curd and salt.
6. Set aside for 8 hours to ferment.
7. Just before cooking, add grated coconut.
8. The batter should have a thick pouring consistency. Add more water if necessary.
9. Heat a tawa over high heat.
10. Lower heat and add little oil.
11. Pour a ladle of batter and spread it out with the back of ladle.
12. Dribble 1 tsp of oil around the edges.
13. Cover and cook for 2 minutes till base is crisp and golden.
14. Serve hot.