Moong Dal – 1 cup
Tinda (Indian Apple Gourd) – 300 gms, medium
Jeera Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tblsp
Salt as per taste
For the Tempering:
Oil – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Soak the dal in water for 10 minutes.
2. Scrape the tindas very gently (not removing the skin) and cut into quarters.
3. Heat the oil and fry the dal for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the tindas and the spices and continue to stir-fry on medium heat for another 2 minutes.
5. Lower the heat and add 3 cups of water and salt to taste.
6. Cook in a pressure cooker till the dal is tender and the vegetable is also cooked and merged into the dal.
7. Serve this with brown rice or chapattis.