For the Batter:
Boiled Rice – 3 cups
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
For the Masala:
Potato – 1/2 kg
Green Peas – 100 gms
Carrot – 2, chopped
Onion – 2, chopped
Tomatoes – 200 gms, chopped
Green Chilli – 3
Garlic – 4 to 5 flakes
Coriander Leaves – 2 tsp, chopped
Cloves – 4 (optional)
Cardamom – 2, big
Cinnamon – a small piece
Fennel Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – a small piece
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cashewnuts – 50 gms (optional)
Oil – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Soak rice and urad dal separately for 3 hours.
2. Drain and grind them separately.
3. Mix both the batter together along with salt and close the vessel with a lid.
4. Let it ferment in a closed container for 4 to 5 hours.
5. Boil potatoes.
6. Peel and mash them.
7. Peel off garlic and ginger.
8. Grind them smoothly along with the cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seeds, cloves, green chilli and a small piece of onion.
9. Fry onion until it turns brown. Keep it aside.
10. Pour some oil and put the ground masala into the pan.
11. Stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Add the carrot pieces and green peas.
13. Let them brown and add tomato. Stir briskly.
14. Pour 1/2 cup of water, salt and turmeric powder.
15. When the masala starts boiling, add the mashed potatoes and fried onion.
16. Stir them briskly and add 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder.
17. Let it boil until the masala becomes thick.
18. Fry cashewnuts in ghee and mix it with the masala.
19. Heat a pan and smear it with a tsp of oil.
20. Spread a ladle of batter.
21. Spread the batter into a round shape and add 1 tsp of oil on the sides and on the surface of dosa.
22. Turn over when the underside is done and cook the other side in low flame.
23. Place 1 to 2 tblsp of masala in the centre.
24. Turn off the stove and fold the sides of the dosa so as to make a roll.
25. Serve hot with chutney and sambar.