Bread Slices – 8
Oil for deep frying
For the Filling:
Onion – 1, medium, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 2, finely chopped
Celery Stalks – 2, finely chopped
Green Capsicum – 1, inner pith removed and finely chopped
Mushroom – 250 gms
Tomato – 1, medium, chopped
Butter – 2 tblsp
Cornflour – 2 tblsp
Milk – 1 cup
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp, freshly ground
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp, finely chopped
Cheese – 2 tblsp, grated
1. Clean the mushrooms.
2. Slice off the tips of the stems and discard.
3. Wash the mushrooms thoroughly and chop fine.
4. Heat the butter in a heavy based pan over moderate heat and saute the onions until it turns translucent.
5. Add the green chillies, celery and capsicum and saute for a minute or two.
6. Toss in the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes over high heat until they are cooked and the water released by them is absorbed.
7. Mix in the tomato and saute for a 2 minutes until soft.
8. Stir in the flour and cook over low heat until it turns brown.
9. Remove from heat and pour in the milk, stirring vigorously to ensure no lumps are formed.
10. Place the pan over low heat and add the salt and pepper.
11. Chop the coriander leaves and blend them in with the cheese.
12. Cook until very thick.
13. Dip a slice of bread in water.
14. Gently squeeze out the water.
15. Lay it flat on a plate and place a heaped tablespoon of the fillin in the centre.
16. Fold the bread slice, pressing it gently until the edges are sealed.
17. Prepare the remaining in the same way.
18. Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai over moderate heat.
19. Fry one bread packet at a time until golden brown on both sides.
20. Place them on a kitchen paper to absorb excell oil.
21. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.