Prawns – 3 cups, fresh, shelled, deveined
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Mustard Oil or Vegetable Oil – 1/2 cup
Salt to Taste
Grind to a paste:
Garlic Cloves – 12
Dry Red Chillies – 12
Curry Leaves – A few
Vinegar – 1/2 cup
1. Remove the heads from the prawns and wash well in salt water.
2. Drain till absolutely dry.
3. Mix with turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a pan.
5. Fry the prawns with some salt till crisp.
6. Remove and keep aside.
7. Reheat the oil till smoking.
8. Saute the onions until golden brown.
9. Add the ground paste and saute for a few minutes.
10. Add the curry leaves and vinegar.
11. When the mixture starts to boil, add the prawns and salt to taste.
12. Lower heat and simmer until the mixture is dry.
13. Remove the pan from the heat and keep aside to cool completely.
14. Store in a glass jar and refrigerate until required.