Almonds – 1/2 cup, peeled
Milk – 4 cups
Sugar – 1 cup (or more as required)
Green Cardamom – 1 tsp, powdered
Saffron – 1 tsp
Saffron Strands – a pinch
Mixed Fruit Cocktail – 300 gms
1. Soak the almonds in hot water for about 30 minutes and drain.
2. Grind the almonds with 1 cup of milk in a blender.
3. Pour the almond mix with the remaining milk into a heavy bottomed pan.
4. Put the pan over medium heat.
5. Stir occasionally till it comes to a boil.
6. Add the remaining ingredients except the fruit cocktail.
7. Cook, stirring frequently, till it comes a boil.
8. Remove the pan from heat and set aside till cool.
9. Add the fruit cocktail along with its syrup into the cooled mixture.
10. Stir gently till well blended.
11. Leave it in the fridge till serving time.
Tip: Before serving if the payasam appears too thick, add a cup of cold milk and stir.