The padappu ritual is often observed in Chettinad in remembrance of
loved ones who have passed away. During this event, padappu dosai is
served with yogurt rice and kathirikai kulambu.
Tuvar Dal – 1 cup
Chana Dal – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Pachai Arisi (extra long-grained rice) – 1/4 cup
Dried Red Chillies – 6
Fennel Seeds – 1 tblsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Onions – 1/2 tsp, finely chopped
1. Wash the tuvar dal, chana dal, moong dal and the rice together.
2. Soak in warm water with the red chillies and fennel seeds for about 2 hours.
3. Drain the ingredients and put them in a blender.
4. Gradually add about 2 cups of water and grind to a coarse, thick consistency.
5. Add the asafoetida powder, turmeric powder, salt and onions to the batter.
6. Mix well.
7. Put a dosai pan over medium heat.
8. Spread about 1/4 cup of batter over the pan in a circular pattern/
9. Drizzle a little oil around the dosai.
10. Cook till it is golden brown and crunchy at the base.
11. Turn it over and cook the other side.
12. When the dosai is crunchy and golden brown on both sides take it off the pan.
13. Serve hot.