Basmati Rice – 1 cup, cooked and set aside to cool
Onions – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 1 cup, chopped
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Spring Onion Tops – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Cashew Nuts – 1/2 cup, roasted
For the Tempering:
Ghee – 1 tblsp
Oil – 1 tblsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Sticks – 3 one inch pieces
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
1. Put the ghee and oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
2. When the oil is hot add the bay leaf, cinnamon sticks and cumin seeds.
3. Fry over medium heat till cumin seeds are golden.
4. Add the onions and tomatoes and saute for a few minutes.
5. Sprinkle in turmeric powder, garam masala powder.
6. Stir well and reduce heat to low.
7. Continue cooking uncovered for about 2-3 minutes.
8. Mix in salt.
9. Add the rice and stir carefully till it is well coated with spices.
10. Add the spring onions and mix gently.
11. Stir in the cashew nuts.
12. Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !