Chicken Thighs without skin – 500 gms, boneless
Onions – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Garlic Cloves – 8, halved
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Fresh Ginger – 1 tblsp, minced
Black Pepper – 3/4 tsp
Cumin Powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Red Onions – 1/4 cup, sliced (optional)
Oil – 4 tblsp
Cinnamon Sticks – 4 one inch sticks
Bay Leaf – 1
Dried Red Chillies – 3
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
1. Cut the chicken into medium sized pieces.
2. Rinse, drain and set aside.
3. For the tempering, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
4. When the oil is hot, add the cinnamon, bay leaf and red chillies.
5. Give it a stir and add cumin and fennel seeds.
6. Saute for a few seconds and add the chopped onions and garlic.
7. Saute till the onions are translucent.
8. Stir in turmeric powder.
9. Add the chicken and ginger.
10. Simmer covered over medium heat till the chicken is half cooked.
11. Add the remaining spice powders and salt.
12. Stir well to coat the chicken with spices.
13. Stir fry the chicken, adding water as required to prevent the chicken from sticking to the pan.
14. To enhance the flavour, add the red onions and stir-fry for a few minutes before removing the pan from heat.