Rice – 1 1/4 cups, soaked for 1 hour
Black-eyed Beans – 1 cup, soaked for 4 to 5 hours, or overnight
Onions – 2, medium sized, thinly sliced
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
Garlic – 1 tsp, peeled, ground
Ginger – 1 tsp, scraped, ground
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp, ground
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp, ground
Tomatoes – 150gm, chopped
Water – 5 cups
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Vegetable Oil – 3 tbsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Green Cardamoms – 2
Cloves – 4
1. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and fry the onions till brown.
2. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
3. In the same oil, add the fenugreek seeds, ground garlic and ginger.
4. Fry for 10 minutes, add the turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and tomatoes.
5. Cook till the oil separates.
6. Add the drained black-eyed beans and salt.
7. Fry for a while and add the water and pressure cook for 5 minutes.
8. Remove from the fire and keep aside.
9. Check whether the beans are cooked or not, if not, cook further for a while.
10. Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
11. Add the green cardamoms and cloves.
12. When they stop crackling, add the drained rice.
13. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring gently so that the rice does not break.
14. Add the beans and water, and bring the mixture to the boil.
15. Add the garam masala and half the fried onions.
16. Cook covered over a low flame stirring once, very gently, till the water dries completely.
17. Then cook covered till done.
18. Just before serving stir once gently and serve with the remaining fried onions.